Saturday, August 4, 2007

Day 1 mile 0 - 537 -- Salina, Kansas

Arkansas held on tight to the moose nuggets. I guess Little Rock knew it would never be the same without us. The day began with anything that should only take 15 minutes to do taking an hour. This included getting a Zip-Loc container for Emily's beta that was a gift from Mike on their first Valentine's. He is along for the ride! Of course, being an Air Force move meant getting signed out of everything you can imagine. And, that's a lot of signing. Last stop was to meet Sarah for a hug and good-bye.

Most of the day rolled by pretty uneventfully. I think we crossed the Arkansas River six different times. Each time Fishy began to fervently swim laps perhaps hoping to escape his four-inch diameter container and swim in bigger waters. No such luck for the fish as he is in the hotel with us. The hotel --hmmm-- a whole story in itself.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Kansas, but let me say, "Toto, we aren't in Arkansas anymore!" I wasn't aware that interstate highways could still be turnpikes and I certainly haven't seen toll tickets handed out since the turnpike between Dallas and Fort Worth was paid for. Anyway, after we paid our last toll and changed highways we were surprised to see that the speed limit had dropped from 75 to 60. Well, actually we were surprised to see it after the Kansas State Trooper kindly stopped to point this out to us. So, day 1 is almost over and Mike has received his first commendation on his new job. Glad it was his turn in the lead.

Now about the hotel. If you have ever watched the Sesame Street Movie "Follow That Bird", then you know about the Don't Drop Inn. Well, I think we may have found it! The sign out front says, "Grand Opening! Under New Management!" We think it was formerly named the "Stab and Sleep Inn". Honestly, getting to our room was like going in the catacombs. I don't think any of us has ever stayed in a room that was a half-basement. But, the beds are comfortable, we are tired, so I'm sure we will all get a good night's sleep. And, we can't wait to see what is prepared for the continental breakfast in the morning. Hopefully, we will discover how to post pictures tomorrow so you can all share in this bit of fun.

So, tune in tomorrow as we continue north and west. Next stop, Denver.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily and the Gang... Well, I'm sorry to hear that your first (and probably last visit to KS) didn't go as expected. But, it's not all that bad a state! Be careful and enjoy the scenery in CO!

Anonymous said...

anonymous is Sruti....still trying to figure these things out! Take care!

Anonymous said...

I've stayed in some bad hotels before, but nothing as bad as that sounds. Sorry I didn't get to visit before ya'll left. Hope the rest of the trip goes good. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Testing

Anonymous said...

Can't believe I figured this out on my OWN!!!!!!! Hope you are enjoying Denver and get plenty of rest for the long day ahead. Has Fishy survived? Well...Vader is in his BOX!

Anonymous said...

You are in the middle of Kansas where the #1 tourist attraction is watching tornadoes blow away houses. I would think that a basement motel room would certainly be an upgrade location in my book! The key - survive and get the heck out of Dodge or Salina!
Don't forget Fishy.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all is going well! We are thinking of you all! Love and hugs! Keitha, David and Landon

Anonymous said...

we wish it was colder here!!! The heat is so bad today here in texas! i love reading about your trip:) love and hugs! keitha

Anonymous said...

I think you left something out of your DAY 1 entry. I believe you met Sarah AND ALF for a hug (although I didn't actually get a hug) and good-bye. I'm sure all the blog readers would want you to be as accurate as possible.

It sounds like you guys are having a good trip. It beats studying for a 737 type rating. Take care and be safe. Watch out for all those real jackalopes.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are enjoying your trip. Are you going fishing for a new fishy?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful experience. It is time the three of you started having your own memories that are special to only you. Then when David grows up and you get together, you can reminisce as a family.

I did have a call from the Little Rock ASPCA along with the State Patrol the other day. I was a bit confused, as I had not seen the website. Maybe this is to your advantage. They wanted to know about "Fishy." Something about him leaving Little Rock without a health certificate and there was a question of kidnapping. I assured them that they must have the wrong family.

The farther north you get the less daylight you will get. If I remember correctly at this time of year in Anchorage, it never gets dark.

Love Mom